Thursday, September 3, 2009

soapstone

This question is directed to Maurizio.I need help FAST!!  I am going to have new kitchen countertops put in, in about 3 weeks. The stone fabricator I am using is EXCELLENT, as was his father before him, they have been in business here for 50 years.  I have chosen soapstone from Brazil, but as I am still waiting for cabinets, nothing has been done.  I have a sample of the soapstone, and it is beautiful and I have been trying to have my three kids eat on it, but it is not a very big sample (due to weight, I'm sure) so not sure if I'm getting the effect.  My fabricator also suggested uba tuba granite..which I really liked the colors of.  It was an excellent stone sample also.  I love the fact that soapstone is an old authentic countertop in New England.  I also have a southern long-leaf heart pine wide plank floor which I love the look of.  I wanted soapstone because it is such an impervious stone, different than most people's, has a long history here in America and I don't mind the oiling.  ( I stained and Tung-oiled the floors myself).  But I must confess, after reading some of your comments here, I'm not sure if you recommend it or not.  I admit to actually potentially liking the shiny look of the granite, but it feels kind of like a "cop-out" since granite is EXTREMELY popular here right now.plus, soapstone feels much warmer to me.  One of my concerns is that you have stated it "always looks dirty".  There is a store here that has soapstone counters that are gorgeous but it is a retail store, and they are obviously not cooking or wiping it down (probably just dusting it once in a while, as it is still rather grey and not black-they have stated they have never oiled it).  Being as both stones will be good quality from my guy, (he says it's my decision) is there concrete reasons for picking one over the other?  Or mostly just aesthetics?  I would hate to obviously have regrets.  I have not seen actual soapstone in a kitchen application since my days in New England (16 years ago.)...but Easterners seem to love it.  I LOVE things that looks old and worn (NOT grubby..things like 300 year old floors, or 600 year old travertine tiles.you know), but again, I don't want something that looks like a disaster, but I hate to just be one of the crowd.  Do I need to pay?  I have not gotten any prompts to pay.please help me (will gladly pay, but am on a strict timeline if I decide to gulp-change my mind!) 

Sincerely,

Aimee

 

No comments: