Saturday, September 19, 2009

Honed Granite

Hi, I've been reading your forum and I have honed black absolute granite marble countertops which showed every little fingerprint, yet completely wipeable, but we felt like a slave constantly wiping the fingerprints (as your forum talks about), when wiped though it always looked fabulous.  We were not knowledgeable enough and applied a sealer because we stupidly thought that it would help.  And as your forum states we have a big situation on our hands now, from what I've read on your forum, we should NOT have sealed it, there are wipe marks as it is removing the sealer as we wipe and there are rings from margaritas etc.  From what I understand in your forum, this hone granite should not have been sealed, we should have used a color enhancer instead right?  I have also read that we need to strip the sealer off and then apply the color enhancer.  If I am right so far, here are my questions:

Is honed absolute black good at resisting stains from acids if just enhanced or is glossy absolute the only absolute that resists acid stains? 

Would it be possible to have someone come in a strip the sealer, then get rid of the honed finish and bring it up to a glossy finish or is that too big of a job to do in my house? 

Is a medium honed finish (in between honed and glossy) better than honed? (Meaning resists acids and less maintenance)

Last questions:  If I strip it enhance it and leave it honed, how often do I RE-enhance it, and do I strip the old enhancer first before RE-enhancing it in the future?

If I have it brought up to a glossy finish do I have it sealed? or do I never do anything to glossy absolute?From what I read on your forum, I should have chosen glossy absolute which sounds impervious to acids and maintenance right? 

Zach

No comments: