Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Brushed Marble (Ceramic Backed)

We are now in our second house and in the middle of remodeling the kitchen and 3 bathrooms at once (yes, I am insane). 
My question is this, have you heard of and/or experienced brushed marble that is ceramic backed.  I did not see anything on your website.  But, this is basically a tile with a marble veneer (about 1/4" thick) on top of terracotta.  We fell in love with the look (of the brushed marble) before we looked at the back and now are not sure if it is something we should use.  The salesman said that the ceramic backing makes it "hardier" when cutting so it is a good thing.  I have my reservations.  Has anyone ever used or installed this?  Are there disadvantages we should be aware of?  Will it chip or flake or worse, peel off of its ceramic backing?
 
Also, is this type of marble tile advisable in a kitchen (high traffic area).  I like the look of the brushed marble because when it does wear (or get stained) in the kitchen, it will not be as obvious.  Plus, it does not have the "holes" that travertine has (though I love travertine as well - i just hate the fill).  We are considering a color called "Emperador Dark" which is a dark brown with gold and white accents, but the brushed marble material comes in other colors as well.
 
I truly appreciate your advice and suggestions (and criticism).  Please don't hold back.  This stuff is not cheap and I do not want to make a stupid mistake!  Thank you!
 
Joanne (College Park, MD)

No comments: