Wednesday, March 31, 2010

whitish rings on black stone

Dear Maurizio,
I've been reading many of the posts on the findstone page in order to find the best solution for my problem. The story is one that you have probably have heard multiple times....our more-than-competent kitchen contractor never communicated to us that our new stone (granite) needed to be sealed after installation. Alas, the stone has developed off-white rings/stains within one month!!!! The stones color is black with some very fine gray specs (almost fully black...see attached pictures). I have already tried your peroxide and talc poultice with no success after 2 days of drying.

I contacted a local stone professional and after seeing the attached pictures, they are suggesting that I strip the entire surface since the stains are due to a wearing process of a factory installed enhancer on black stone, and the spots cannot be addressed individually....of course their estimate was more than generous (500-600.....american!!!)

Any thoughts, suggestions, direction??? Can I still do this myself...being that the estimate is way out of my budget?? Any help would be much appreciated.

Carlos Martinez

No comments: