Monday, March 29, 2010

Anyone know anything about schist?

I'm in the process of renovating a house and looking for countertop material for the kitchen as well as a small bar area in the living room. I found a schist that I really like (Saturnia Cosmus), but I don't know anything about schist.

- Anyone know what the strength/durability is for schist? Is it appropriate for kitchen countertops (and the associated wear and tear)?

- If so, would 2cm be okay, or would we need to go with 3cm?

- I'm also looking at a brazilian granite that I like, just not quite as much as the schist. What would be the pros/cons of choosing the schist over the granite?

- Ihave a small sample of the schist from the stone yard. Are there any scratch/stain/chip/crack/etc. tests that I should do to the sample to see if the schist is durable enough for a kitchen?

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight. It's a big purchase and I'd hate to get it wrong.

No comments: