Saturday, July 4, 2009

Proper Adhesive For Absolute Black Granite

I am about to install a granite fireplace surround, and have some concerns about choosing the right adhesive:  my concern arises because of comments found elsewhere which report "bleeding"  may occur if the wrong adhesive is used. The specific examples cited involved either green or whitish colors - no mention of Absolute Black granite (which actually, is gray before its polished). I also see mention not to use petroleum-based construction adhesives -- rather use water-based adhesives. All very confusing.
 
I've considered using a thin-set type product (like Super-Lastic, which is made here in NYC), but I know the newer construction adhesives have unbelievable adherence strength, and are easier to use than a thin-set type product that weigh a ton, usually  needs to be mixed with water etc....Since its a fireplace, there wont be any traffic on it -- I just need to make sure its cemented in well enough so that it stays firmly in place. Since the header is quite heavy, and is partially supported by the two legs, this is the part of the installation I know has to be the most solid..Can anyone advise me on this?

No comments: