Thursday, July 9, 2009

Granite counter top surface not correct at the fac

I have been searching the web for a knowledgeable person on problems with Granite surfaces and was very impressed by your knowledge. I have to give you a little background first. We have new granite counter tops that are in the process of being installed in the bathrooms. About 2 years ago we had granite counter tops put in the kitchen by a different installer. I believe the granite came from the same supplier, Capco in Denver, CO. The granite for the kitchen and bathrooms are different colors. The pattern in the kitchen seems to be more dense (if that makes sense) while the pattern in the bathrooms is more of a swirl effect.

My question is when I look at the new counter tops in the bathrooms they don't appear to be completely polished compared to the kitchen counter tops. It appears that there is still an appearance  of a grain (where it is not completely filled in), somewhat like a spider pattern throughout the counter tops. When I asked the contractor about this and showed him the difference, he said they just needed to be sealed. When he put a sealer on it (sealer & cleaner) they seemed to be better, but no as good as the kitchen. The contractor also said to do that every two weeks. I said I didn't have to do that with the kitchen granite and he said that it's stone and they differ.

 

I think there was a problem or incomplete work done with the finish when they did the counter tops at the factory? We picked a slab out at the store in both cases. Any help or response is much appreciated. Hopefully I have described the concern I have properly.  

Regards,

Dick Gibson

303-718-1664

Dick.gibson@hitachi-hta.com

 

No comments: