Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Granite tile over formica

While the so called professionals will tell you to 'rip up the formica', that isn't necessary at all if that substrate is in good flat state and not compromised. However, having said that, it IS important the type of thinset used. I just finished my countertop using blue pearl granite tiles with oak edging stained walnut and it turned out beautiful. There are some base secrets i wish to share with those who endeavor to do same. Buy yourself a decent wet saw such as HD's ryobi for $200. Its like a radial arm saw and will save much grief over the lesser quality. Throw the blade away that comes with it and buy a better blade. Next buy QEP LASH system for eliminating Lippage problems. The thinset I used was Keralastic/Kerabond kit, still available Mapei product. It sticks like nothing else and would even bond to glass, yup, its that good. I choose blue pearl for a couple of reasons: HARDNESS(no stain) and you do NOT have to seal Blue Pearl, its that hard. I used mapei Kericolor BLACK grout. Again, it does NOT need sealing either unless you just feel more comfortable doing so. I satin polyurethaned the oak edging and used CounterMate black Perimeter caulking from HD to fill those small gaps between the oak and the tile..NOT grout. you Should also use UNSANDED grout because of the 1/16th inch spacers(qep lash). I hope this helps someone because it was through forums like these and much research, I ended up with the quality job i have.

No comments: