Saturday, April 10, 2010

How to flatten granite?

Hi, I acquired some scrap granite from a local yard and was planning to use it as a flat reference surface. Unfortunately when I brought it home I found that the polished surface was concaved and strange it enough it was the same with a new piece I acquired today. The rough sides (unpolished) are probably flatter than the polished sides so what I plan to do is apply some diamond paste on the unfinished surfaces and rub them together until they become flat.

Since one of granites attributes is it's hardness I'm wondering if this will even work. If not I'd like some advice on what options are available. I read that granite is kinda like a mirror in that it has to be extremely flat in order to have a high level of shine. Are there any commercially available services that achieve this level of polish? I'm guessing that such accurate work requires expensive computers and I'm trying to keep the cost to a bare minimum but the piece I have is only 6"x36" so maybe I can afford it. I appreciate any help you guys can give, thanks.

No comments: