Monday, April 19, 2010

Is engineered quartzite safe to use on floors

Sorry if this is double posted, but I got a message saying it wasn't accepted because of some error in the subject heading...

I am thinking of using engineered quartzite tiles for redoing my bathroom and kitchen floors. I understand that I should use a non- polished finish e.g. honed to maximize slip-resistance.

But are there special installation or floor preparation directions that I should be aware of, e.g., using only a particular kind of base (backer), mastic/thinset mortar, or grout? If so, what is the best type of base, sealer, adhesive, and grout to use for this application? Any special techniques? My main concern is preventing the tiles from shifting under pressure or popping off when walked on.

Additionally, are there issues with hardness of engineered quartzite when used as flooring, and its ability to withstand pressure and wear, humidity, temperature changes, etc. that I should be concerned about?

Any particular brands of quartzite tile that you would recommended more than others?



Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

No comments: