Monday, August 10, 2009

Granite / Marble Advice

I have two different Granites and one Marble in my house and all three have something that I could use your help with.  If the advice requires a fee let me know and I will definitely follow the correct protocol. 

First the Granites. In my kitchen I have "Emerald Pearl" countertops with lots of Mica which are for the most part beautiful.  In the Master Bath I have a dark brownish/black vanity top which was cut from a remnant bought from Adamo Marble & Granite here in Boston.  It was invoiced as "Brown Pearl" but is very different from any online pictures I've seen listed as "Brown Pearl". 

Both have been accidentally stained or etched by a commercial cleaner designed to remove rust from cloth and porcelain sinks and toilets.  The cleaner (Brand name 'WHINK') contains Hydrofluoric Acid.  It has left a white hazy etched spot on both surfaces.  The first was a small nuisance about the size of a quarter.  Last night a rag soaked with WHINK was left on the bathroom counter top.  There is now a 4" area on the vanity top.  Can either be restored to their original shiny finish?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Marble in question is a light green Marble Tile with lots of tan / white but with a green "Olive Green overall feel" that was used on the floor in the bathroom as well as in the shower surround.  They are 18" tiles from Home Depot "EXPO".  The invoice shows it as : "MATOLGRT 18  18X18 OLIVE GREEN HONED MARBLE". 

I thought the Marble tiles in the shower had accumulated soap scum but after a few cleaning attempts I've concluded that the whitish haze over much of the lower 1/3 of the shower may actually again be from etching caused by commercial cleaning agents that I have used to clean the shower.  The shower was installed about 2 years ago.  Is there a way to clean and re-polish the marble tiles and then perhaps seal them well so as to prevent the need to repeat this?  I don't know if perhaps this type of cleaning / re-sealing should be expected every couple of years in a shower.   

Any advice on cleaning / restoring these problems and on regular maintenance cleaning going forward would be appreciated.  Let me know if you need any further information from me.

Best Regards,

Mike Meyer

No comments: