Saturday, August 15, 2009

water leaving marks

Hi there
 
I have been reading your website - wish I'd seen it before I bought my granite!  I have brand new Indian Jet Black granite which was sealed with an "industry grade" sealant whatever that is!.  My benches have been marking with water, heat and possibly some softdrinks (what is in coke anyway?!).  I am absolutely definite about the water marking even though my granite supplier tried to tell me I must be wrong.  As I have just moved into the house, I have had no oil/vinegar/juice/wine etc anywhere near the bench.  Basically cups leave rings if left there for any length of time.  Lemon juice tested on a cut out piece did nothing to the surface (in fact it looked cleaner and better!)  Eventually the company who installed the granite sent someone to fix the problem. He told me that 1 in 20 pieces of Indian Jet Black granite is prone to marks forming, and that you can't tell which ones will do it from those that won't - IS THIS TRUE?  He said it had nothing to do with what sealant was used, and he said in fact he wouldn't seal black granite.  He said it was a kind of chemical reaction rather than a problem with the sealant.  He applied some sort of white liquid (not sure what it was called) that he said enters the stone and dampens down the reaction causing the marks to form.  Basically he applied it then buffed the surface, kind of like polishing a car.  This seems to have fixed the problem for the time being.  My questions are:  How come if 1 in 20 pieces of that stone mark no one seems to know about it except the guy who came to fix it (everyone I spoke to was dumbfounded when i told them my granite was marking with water)?  Is what he said true?  Will I need to apply this 'treatment" again later? Should I be getting rid of the sealant?
 
Regards
Frances

No comments: