Wednesday, June 3, 2009

granite or marble

Recently had my 30 year old marble kitchen countertops professionally refinished (mostly etch marks - no scratches, stains or cracks). They looked beautiful, however within a couple of weeks I had etch marks again, mostly around the sink and cook top, despite how careful I was being. I initially believed that this was due to improper sealing, but after reading your Q&A I gathered it's not. 1) Is it normal for etch marks to appear so quickly after refinishing? Except fora few oil splatters and one which I know was vinegar, I believe most marks are due to water because I'm having the same problem on my bathroom sink vanity. 2) Is there anything that can be applied to the marble to prevent this or at least delay it? 3) Short of having them professionally redone again, is there anything I can do for spot fix-ups? 4) Despite knowing what a maintenance headache marble is, I went against my original inclination to have them replaced with granite and had them refinished instead. I think I may actually end up with the granite. Is there a granite you recommend for the kitchen that will give me the least amount of trouble? I was originally plannning a polished absolute black. I assume I should stay away from honed and etched finishes - which is what my husband wants. Thank you, Kathy.

No comments: