Monday, June 29, 2009

Sealing and Enhancing Color of Black Slate Hearth

Hello!  I am new to this forum.
 
I have a question regarding the sealing and color enhancing of a new Black Slate Hearth in my house.  I searched the forums, but didn't find and answer to my question.
 
I have a Black Slate Hearth I recently installed for my high-efficiency, wood-burning stove.  During installation we were very careful not to scratch the stone with the stove and we also tried to use natural edges where possible (the stone is cleft).  However, we did have to cut some edges and where we did the stone is gray in color.  I was told that I could use a sealer and it would turn that gray more black in color.  I have tried Tesco Crystal Seal on some test pieces and the sealer seems to be a great product, but when it dries the gray is back and small blemishes on the surface of the stone (also gray) remain.
 
Is there a sealer and/or color enhancer that I can use that will turn the grayish colors more black and keep it that way?  I want to have the hearth with a sort of "wet look," but not super shiny.  HELP!
 
Thanks in advance for any help.
 
-Erik

No comments: