Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What should I do about my travertine?

Hey, folks!
 
Bet you haven't come across this one before.  I just bought a condominium in Dallas.  The bathroom counters, floors, and shower walls are travertine.  Rough/dull finish, not polished. 
 
My concern is that I dye my hair at home.  The strong dye does not stain the polished tile in my old bathroom, but it does leave a permanent mark in painted surfaces such as doors.  The diluted dye (as I rinse in the shower) stains towels just enough that I use bleach in the wash, so I don't think the travertine is in danger.
 
What is your recommendation about sealing the travertine?  The condominium is only three years old, but I have no idea about previous maintenance.  My first thought is to seal again, but how?
 
I was very excited to find your site.  Here's a funny story, based on the comment that the Coliseum in Rome is made of limestone and it's still standing. 
 
My friend ran a museum of natural history.  He showed me a large, flat stone with real dinosaur footprints in it.  One night, his fancy guests were partying and listening to requests for donations while setting their drinks on this "table".  He ran to protect an irreplaceable treasure, then realized it had sat out in the rain for eons.  Just don't pour Coca-Cola on it, right? 
 
What should I do about my travertine, guys?
 
Susan

No comments: