Saturday, April 3, 2010

cracked granite

Dear Sir,

 

I hoped you could provide your expert advice to guide me in a problem I have encountered with my granite installation. 

 

I had Antique Brown granite installed in my kitchen.  In the front right of the double sink cutout a crack has surfaced in each of three installation attempts.  The fabricator is at a loss to explain to me how the granite could crack in the same place three times.  I was wondering if your experience would enable you to venture an educated guess. 

 

Here are a few more pieces of background information;

 

1)  After the first installation, the granite remained uncracked for four days.  When it did crack the crack went all the way through from top to bottom and back to front.

With this installation you could see daylight between the granite top and the cabinet top leaving us to conclude perhaps it was not shimmed properly.

 

2)  Upon the second installation, the granite cracked while they were installing it.  We were pretty sure that this was indeed a new slab due to identifying marks.  Also, prior to installation we noted that there was one rod in place and the cabinets were checked and rechecked (by installer and general contractor) to make sure they were level.

 

3)  The third installation yielded a crack two hours after installation.  Upon installation I noted to the installer a rough edge where the crack would later appear.  My suspicion is that this was in fact the first slab of granite "reworked" prior to installation.  Again, this slab had one rod installed lengthwise in front of the sink area.  Also, they put many more shims in place with this installation, such that I do not see any daylight between the granite top and the cabinet top.

 

We are claiming a refund in small claims court.  My hope is that you could opine on whether this is most likely an installation problem or whether this is an inherent problem in dealing with Antique Brown granite.  I have read your opinion that a good fabricator/installer will be able to work with any granite.  If that is the case, what do you think the installer should have done in our case that he did not do?

 

Thank you very much for your time and consideration,


No comments: